Where were you (When the world stopped turning)?

It's no secret what today is. 

I'm not going to post pictures or videos about it. We all know. We all remember. 



I'm trying to avoid watching tv today because I don't want to see it all again. But I will talk about it. 


I was 15. A sophomore in high school. School started early back then, so I was on my way to class by the time the first tower had been hit. At that point, they still thought it was an accident. 


By the time first period started, the second tower had been hit. I honestly didn't understand what had happened until lunch because the school was basically hiding it from us. I kind of understand why, but at the same time, I don't think it was right. But that's a moot point now. 


I remember watching the footage on replay during my lunch and thinking how nothing would ever be the same. I would never look at the world the same way again. Things were different now. No matter how you sliced it, things.were.different.


Paranoia would run rampant, fear would overtake us, and that feeling of security would be gone forever. 


It was also in that moment that The Husband decided he wanted to be a Marine. 


Do you ever wonder what life would be like had 9.11 just been a normal day in September? 


I do. I don't really get that far because I always wonder if it just would have happened on 10.10, or 11.4 instead. 


But it wasn't a normal day and all of our lives changed forever. 


Where were you that day?




"Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve. America was targeted for attack because we are the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining."





President George W. Bush

BTW, please keep your political opinions to yourself. I won't publish a comment that is nothing more than a tirade. 

Comments

Popular Posts